Rice is one of the most cherished grains in the world. The reasons are countless: this grain is inexpensive, nutritious, and versatile.
There is no rice dish that people do not love. From the simplest plain white rice to the complicated ones such as Paella, rice dishes are always handy for making a complete meal.
Different rice side dishes
Most rice preparations are savory, but sweet dishes and beverages are incredibly delicious.
Every cuisine in the world has a distinctive rice preparation. They work as base recipes to create creative dishes to make a varied meal each time.
Rice dishes pair with almost anything. They go perfectly with meats, chicken, turkey, pork, fish, and seafood. They also work great as a complete meal and are the ideal complement to vegan and vegetarian diets.
The regular rice side dish is white rice. Using white rice as a canvas, you can create endless rice accompaniments.
Simple white rice can turn into new whole dishes by cooking it with broth or adding different spices, herbs, or vegetables. It will result in elevated dishes with upstanding flavors.
Some rice dishes as accompaniment includes:
- Spinach rice.
- Cumin rice.
- Cheesy rice.
- Curry rice.
- Rice with broccoli.
- Mushroom rice.
- Apple rice salad.
- Turmeric rice.
- Cilantro rice.
- Lemon rice.
- Parmesan rice.
- Mexican rice.
Rice as a main dish includes various ingredients to create hearty and satisfying meals. You can add different meats, vegetables, herbs, and spices.
The main dishes with rice are:
- Pork fried rice.
- Chicken and rice.
- Rice with shrimp.
- Creamy chicken and rice soup.
- Baked risotto with ham and peas.
- Black bean with rice.
- Beef and rice.
- Rice-stuffed peppers.
- Rice casserole.
- Rice enchiladas.
- Tilapia with rice.
- Salsa Rice.
Tips for preparing the perfect rice
Cooking rice is very simple and fast. Its simplicity does not mean it is a sloppy process.
There are some easy steps to follow to prepare a fluffy preparation.
- Rinse rice: Depending on the rice preparation, rinsing rice must be necessary.
- A firmer texture requires the rice to be rinsed several times to diminish starch content. In recipes where rice needs to be chewy, rinsing is not necessary.
- Water ratio: Rice’s final texture depends on the amount of liquid used. The basic water to rice ratio is 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water or any liquids like chicken or vegetable broth.
- Cooking process: The traditional way of cooking rice is on the stove stop. In the process, water has to boil and then simmer until the rice is tender. While rice simmers, a lid must be placed in the pot to cook rice evenly.
- Fluff: After the rice is cooked, it has to stand and fluff with a fork. This step separates grains.
Trying side rice dishes
Among the endless rice recipes, choosing one is very arduous. Try the following recipes and cook different rice dishes anytime you need a rice bowl.
- 1 tablespoon of butter.
- 2 teaspoons of cumin seeds.
- 1 ½ cups of long-grain jasmine rice.
- 1 minced clove of garlic.
- ½ teaspoon of salt.
- 3 cups of water.
- In a saucepan, add the butter and cook until it is melted.
- Incorporate cumin seeds and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add jasmine rice and stir very well. Toast for 2 minutes.
- Add minced garlic, salt, and water. Mix.
- When water boils, reduce the heat and put a lid over the saucepan.
- Cook for 15 minutes.
- Let it rest for 10 minutes, then fluff with a fork to separate grains.
- It goes well with gravy, lentils, sauces, or curries.
Summer Squash Rice
- 2 cups of chicken broth.
- 1 cup of long-grain rice.
- 2 tablespoons of butter.
- ½ teaspoon of Italian seasoning.
- 2 cups of diced summer squash.
- 1 minced clove of garlic.
- 1 diced tomato.
- ½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- Salt and pepper to taste.
- 1 tablespoon of chopped parsley.
- In a skillet, add the remaining butte.
- Incorporate garlic and summer squash and cook for 5 minutes. Set aside.
- In a saucepan, add chicken broth, 1 tablespoon of butter, and Italian seasoning.
- Cook until the mixture boils.
- Decrease the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the summer squash mixture, tomato, Parmesan cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Cook for 5 more minutes and let it stand.
- Serve with chopped parsley at the top.