There’s a reason why so many people choose stainless steel pots and pans. They are cheap, durable, and they don’t require much cleaning. In a second you’ll learn what you should remember about when buying stainless steel cookware. Let’s go!
Why is It so Popular?
When it comes to cookware, stainless steel is a common choice. It’s known as induction cookware, but also can be used on gas and electric cooktops. That’s because:
• It is very durable. If you are worried about the rust, or any marks and scratches, then you should choose stainless steel cookware.
• It is easy to clean. You won’t have to worry about acidic foods damaging your cookware. No matter your creativity, all that you’ll need is soap and some water.
• It is cheap. Even though stainless steel cookware will last you for years, its price is relatively low. That’s why it’s well-liked by many people for whom price is the primary concern.
• It looks good. Okay, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but many people are fond of the glossy look of the stainless steel cookware.
It doesn’t mean that there aren’t any drawbacks here, too:
• Stainless steel has very poor conductivity, which means that it will take a long time for it to heat up. It could be especially problematic if you often have to prepare meals in a hurry.
• You’ll have to be really careful, as the food will stick to your pan very easily.
If you think that the negatives don’t outweigh the positives, here are several things to remember when buying stainless steel cookware.
Depending on what to you is essential, you should choose an appropriate cookware set. Even if you’ve decided that you want to go with stainless steel, that’s not enough. Next to the name of the cookware, you will find a number. An “18/10 stainless steel”, means that the set is 18% chromium and 10% nickel. If you care the most about how durable will be your set, then choose a set that has a lot of chromium in it. Nickel, on the other hand, gives it a “clean” look.
Heavy vs Light
The heavier sets are better at evenly distributing the heat, though they are also more costly. If you want to pay as less as possible, then a lighter set might be a better choice, though less material used to produce it might cause you some trouble.
The Type of Core
The main drawback of stainless steel cookware is that it takes a long time before it heats up. One way of dealing with this problem is to choose an aluminum, or copper core. If you opt to choose a regular one, cooking will require quite a lot of patience.
Does it Have All that You’ll Need?
Before you make a purchase, you should think carefully about what pieces of equipment you’ll need in your kitchen. You might find a set that looks great and isn’t too pricey, but it wouldn’t be a great choice if you’ll end up not using half of the pieces.
Although learning about the types of cookware and its advantages and disadvantages is not something that will make your heart beat faster, you shouldn’t make your choice too hastily. Sure, the esthetical value might be of some importance, but before you make a purchase, you should carefully compare the numbers, and on this basis make a decision. You aren’t likely to spend your days worrying that you’ve chosen a slightly worse stainless steel cookware set, but it will last you for a long time, which means that you should spend at least some time educating yourself about this subject.
Stainless steel cookware is a great choice for people who simply want their kitchen equipment to be durable. It also looks good and doesn’t require a lot of cleaning. Unfortunately, that’s not all. As compared to other types of cookware, it has a poor heat conductivity, which means that if you don’t invest in an aluminum, or copper core, it will take a lot of time for it to heat up. Still, stainless steel cookware is a great option for people who don’t want to spend a lot of money on their kitchen equipment, as it is worth its price.