Preparing for and Aftercare of Laser Hair Removal – A Guide About What to Do Before and After
Laser hair removal is a safe and effective way to eliminate unwanted hair without needing regular waxing or shaving. It is an increasingly popular procedure, but it is important to understand what you need to do before and after the treatment in order to ensure that it produces the best results. Before your treatment, it is essential to ensure that you follow any instructions provided by your doctor. You should avoid exposing the area to be treated to direct sunlight or other sources of heat, as this can make the treatment less effective and could cause burns. It is also important that you do not use any harsh skin care products or exfoliating.
Here we will discuss steps you should take before laser hair removal and post-treatment care instructions. For those considering laser hair removal at a laser hair removal clinic in London, it is important to schedule a consultation with the clinic first. During this appointment, your practitioner will assess your skin type and review any medical history that may impact the success of your treatment. The practitioner will also provide information about any side effects you may experience due to the procedure. This appointment helps prepare patients for what they should expect from their first session and allows them to ask questions about any concerns they may have.
Prior Treatment Precautions
Prior to having laser hair removal, patients must avoid excessive sun exposure on their skin. Sun exposure to areas of treated skin can cause adverse reactions, including redness, swelling, blistering, or irritation which could interfere with successful treatment results. In addition, patients should not use depilatory creams or wax prior to treatment since these can reduce the effectiveness of laser hair removal.
During Treatment Precautions
On the day of your treatment, it’s important that you go in clean-shaven so that the laser can target individual hairs more easily during the procedure. Wearing loose-fitting clothing can also help ensure no discomfort is caused while undergoing treatment, as tight clothing can cause friction and irritate treated areas afterward. Finally, sunscreen should be used after each treatment session in order to protect newly exposed skin from potential damage caused by UV rays from sunlight.
Post Treatment Precautions
Following a laser hair removal session, there are several aftercare tips one should follow in order to ensure successful results:
1) Avoid direct sun exposure or tanning beds for at least 4 weeks; this helps protect newly exposed skin against UV ray damage which could result in discoloration of treated areas.
2) Use cold compresses if needed; this helps reduce inflammation and discomfort resulting from treatments.
3) Avoid shaving or waxing treated areas; this removes hairs before they have been effectively targeted by lasers and reduces the chances of successful results.
4) Use moisturizers regularly; this helps keep skin hydrated which reduces chances of irritation following treatments.
5) Avoid activities such as hot baths/showers/saunas; these activities raise body temperature, which could lead to irritation on recently exposed skin.
6) Reapply sunscreen when outdoors; this protects newly exposed skin against UV rays that could cause discoloration if unprotected.
7) Follow up with your practitioner regularly; this helps track progress and allows clinicians time to monitor potential side effects associated with treatments.
By properly preparing for laser hair removal sessions and following appropriate aftercare instructions, one can ensure they get maximum benefits from their treatments while minimizing potential risks associated with procedures such as sunburns/ irritation/ inflammation, etc. Laser clinics offer guidance throughout the process, so be sure to talk with a professional before starting any new treatment protocol.